Sunday, April 30, 2006

When left without supervision for too long

My Puritan work ethic degrades into this -


My relaxed posture and causal attitude towards footwear should not be taken as indication that I am not doing my job. Oh no - that is my expense report that you seen on the screen before you. I think. I mean, there should also be receipts in front of me if I'm doing my expense report, and I remember them being there, they just didn't make it into the picture. But I am definitely doing WORK! You don't see Snood on that monitor.

A brief orientation to my cubicle for those of you who have never had the pleasure before. On the far wall you will see part of my Belizian parrot Pride poster. I ganked this from HR Kristin just so that I would have a little piece of Heather Kirkwood with me always. There are too many coffee cups in the picture, this is because I stockpile them until I actually HAVE to wash them. My self-imposed limit is three. The purple Nalgene bottle was a gift from my dear sister Katie Musar. It originally came filled with candy that was very difficult to get out. Now it gets filled up with water at least twice a day and, as a result, becomes my main contributor to inefficiency as I have to leave my desk every 30 minutes to pee.

All those papers in the trays to my left - we try not to think about those. Ditto the papers in front of the trays. The big black leather chair is the most recent addition to my cube and also the cause of my new attitude towards professionalism. Its days are numbered, but what wonderful days they have been.

You will also hopefully notice the very high wildlife contingent in my little "office." On the monitor you will see part of a carved wooden rhino, and though the picture does not show this, she is leading two baby rhinos as they make their epic trek across the wilds of my desk. We've already noted the Belize poster, but there is another that is not pictured. This one is a very early pre-Pride poster for saving the snow leopard, it makes me think of my mom. There is my little turtle made of shells that Maureen brought me back from Palau, and my very cool bumper sticker from the African Wildlife Foundation that says "Tusk Tusk, Poor Elephants." The flowers on top of the cabinet are fake...I'm not good with plants.

This was all brought to you by Heather "Too Good for Accounting" Murphy, a faithful reader and friend of the Elizabeth/Lizzie Musar blog. We were very lucky to catch her on film during a recent visit to my cube...she can be very elusive...

5 comments:

that mckim girl said...

I love Blogging Lizzie!

Also, there needs to be something from me in that cubicle. I will have to think about it...

Rachel said...

do you still have the I *heart* lizzie post it up?

I think I see it in the corner near your inbox, but I don't remember as I put it there in November and I've lost a lot of brain cells since then.

BK said...

Lizzie,

Thanks for visiting TWR! To answer the questions you left on my blog...

1. It is Kelley...the extra "e" is for...well, something.

2. World Cup webcasts? Hmm. Soccer/football is really not my thing. I was thinking that ESPNsoccernet would have something about webcasts, but I don't see anything. The The BBC's World Cup 2006 site doesn't look like it will be providing a webcast either (even so, I'm sure there would be some kind of block on IP addresses outside of the UK due to issues concerning territorial broadcast rights). And the official FIFA World Cup 2006 site doesn't mention a webcast.

3. I didn't mean to come down so hard on "chick lit." My first mention of chick lit wasn't a dig...I was just saying I wouldn't be reading it. But my calling it crap was a bit harsh, I guess.

I think my point is that Kaavya Viswanathan didn't set out to write a book...she set out to make money by building a book out of scenes, dialogue and even narration "borrowed," or as Mike Doughty says "ganked" (more on that in a moment), from other best-selling books in that genre. If you're going to do that, you might as well take it from more classic sources (how many times has Shakespeare been adapted?). At least that way you might get away with it. But she took parts of popular chick lit books and put them in her chick lit book...and didn't expect anybody to realize this?

If anything, Viswanathan undermined the intelligence of chick lit readers. She apparently didn't think they were smart enough to figure out her scam. Thinking about it more...this was one of the dumbest things ever. How did this girl get into Harvard?

And, of course, reading chick lit is better than shooting up a school...no arguments there.

Getting back to Mr. Doughty, though, I don't think Mike has really looked at the extent of Kaavya's ganking. I mean, I'd give her a break, too, if it were just a few passages, but the examples on my post are just some of the similarities pointed out by The Harvard Crimson.

What she did goes WAY beyond ganking.

(By the way, I apologize for this ultra-long comment...this is why I'm a writer.)

Anonymous said...

I DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THERE BEING AN "OTHER" HEATHER IN YOUR LIFE.....

MAYBE SHE SHOULD WATCH OUT....

Anonymous said...

Your cubicle is awesome! Relaxed attitude meets efficiency! Job-related decorations that are still pretty! Obviously well-organised filing system! I rate it a solid five Copper Coffee Cups.
Chris